Saturday, August 27, 2011

Our Story



The decision to homeschool comes about differently for every family. While we knew that our children would never attend public schools, we only toyed with the idea that homeschooling would become a part of our family while our firstborn child, Jonathan, was still an infant.

As a certified teacher, it seemed wrong to us for me to leave him with a sitter in order to go teach (and essentially raise) other people's children. In the short time I was with Jonathan (vacations and snow days and such), he would grow leaps and bounds, but once I returned to work, he would slide backward again. As my hours got longer and my pay did not increase, we decided once my third year within the school system was complete, I was done.

As soon as my first official stay-at-home-mom day came, it was clear that Jonathan was/is brilliant. His language exploded and became quite precise.
As a certified teacher, I had access to the state assessment tests and began testing Jonathan at age two. He tested into kindergarten at 2 1/2 years old and out of kindergarten before age 3. I began to explore our options for schooling in the private sector, but was quickly turned away soly based on his age. Frustrated with the thought of him being completely bored and thus misbehaving after roughly three-years of review, we made an uncommon decision.

Now, we firmly committed to homeschooling each of our children. I teach on a year-to-year basis, never committing to more than one year at a time. Of course, I cannot foresee any reason why any of our children would rejoin the public schools but we'd like to see them enter the private or Montessori sector in the not-so-distant future.

The decision was stressful, the community/extended family back-lash harsh and financially a strain.


My husband and I, just about a year before we were married.

Our little "Bug", Jonathan (Jack), the true adventurer - hands-on eager to learn mentality. A true first born.

Our little "Beana", Katrina (Trina), the constantly moving, girly-girl with no fear, eager to do anything her brother is doing. So easy-going you'd think she was a middle child (no one tell my husband 'wink').


If at any time you have questions, please feel free to contact me.

No comments: