Thursday, December 27, 2007

Jaundice & Bilirubin

Matt and I have been inducted into parenthood. You would think that this happens at conception, or maybe the first ultra-sound, possibly at birth.... Nope.

We had such as scare. Jonathan had a touch of Jaundice and after having test after test after test run and so much blood drawn, we were facing bringing him back to the hospital. Unfortunately because of the Pediatrician office being affiliated with Saint Mary Hospital, we had no choice in were to go. I was dead set against going back to the hospital with my little mister!
The only alternative was to have him stay at home and sleep under the Bili-rubin blanket. Supposedly the doctors office called in a prescription for the blanket but they couldn't find one anywhere. Quite frankly I did not believe them. My mom and Matt immediately got one the telephone and proceeded to call every hospital storage facility in the state to find the blanket we needed. Andthey found one! When we called the doctor to tell them we found one, they told us it was "too late" and we had no choice and must get him to the hospital immediately, (since there was no gurarentee that it could be at our house in time.
I was terrified. My poor little mister was sick and I was helpless to save him!
Matt, thank God found a blanket in a wharehouse in Milford and telepohone the truck driver to let him in to search the wharehouse for it! He arrived home, blanket in hand in one hour! And Jonathan was safe and sound! My little alien baby!

No comments: