Wednesday, January 16, 2013

I Homeschool

I home-school... I’ve not forgotten the time wasted in the classroom.
I’ve not forgotten busy work and worksheets to keep kids quiet and sitting still.
I’ve not forgotten the homework and the projects that I feel should be kept at school and not at home if a kid is going to be there for the majority of their day.
I’ve not forgotten the boredom or the unreasonable rules.
Our “school-work”, as I call it, exceeds the same amount of time that the children spend on assignments in the classroom each day.
I had children because I am selfish. I stay at home with my children because I am selfish. I home-school my children because I am SELFISH. I WANT to be the one who educates my children, molds their hearts and minds... SO WHAT!?!
Even on my hardest days, when the kids are fighting, the furniture has been written on, and I can’t shower or pee by myself, much less clean or WORK, I would rather have my kids here, at home, with me than anywhere else. I don’t want to miss out special moments, THE MOMENTS I HAD WITH OTHER PEOPLES CHILDREN! (like that gleam in their eye and smile that crosses their face when they realize they can read or understand simple math or the earth rotates around the sun) Most parents, heck now, only SOME parents are around for their child's firsts, their first smile, steps, and first foods. I don't want to miss ANY firsts! I do not want to give those moments to someone else.
No teacher is ever going to care more deeply, about my children’s education and well being than I am. I want them to get plenty of sleep without being forced out of bed early in the morning to ride the bus or go through a carpool line. I want to take my kids on vacations whenever I want. I want my children to have healthy meals. I want my kids to run around the yard with wooden swords, or using sticks as wands to act – and I want to witness it. I want my kids to dress up stuffed monkeys and read them books and pretend to teach them geography or even better, pretend to take them off to some far off land while I take pictures when they aren't looking.
 I AM SELFISH! I NEVER believed homeschooling provides a better education than public or private schools. It can, in certain situations with certain parents and certain students, but across the board this is not true.

No comments: