Wednesday, May 9, 2012

What's in a Name?

Am I in this battle alone? I am NOT in love with my name, but I do find it irritating when people spell it incorrectly, especially when it is RIGHT THERE to copy. I have a love hate relationship with my name, sometimes I feel like it suits me and other times I do not feel like a Jamie at all... But I can tell you something... I am a Jamie, not a Jaimie or a Jaime or a Jayme . I am certain it may mean more if I were given a straight response from my parents - when I asked where it came from.
  • When I get the response "We named you after your grandfather" - I feel valued and important, and honored... Yet angry that I feel masculated (yes, today that IS a word) with a grandfather' name.
  • The response "We named you after Jamie Lee Curtis" - I feel my parents put in the littlest amount of energy possible in naming me... and feel it is meaningless.
  • When my father boasts "your name comes from the song, Jamie's Crying" - I feel like BOTH my parents were FAR too young to have children, but at least they like good music and were with the times.
Whether I am feeling like a Jamie or not for the day, I am certain I do not care for people spelling it wrong. I very carefully named my children so that their names would not be misspelled... BUT alas... they are.

No comments: