Saturday, December 22, 2012

Why I LOVE being a mom....


When I was young and pregnant, finding out I was going to give birth to a boy, I was terrified as to how  I would  care for a little boy... How I would do bathroom breaks and teach him to use a toliet or dress himself. I was hopelessly overwhelmed.
As the two of us, grew to know and learn each other my mind eased. I loved seeing the world through his eyes. Suddenly dinosaurs and robots, mud puddles and frogs were a part of my existence.
As my family grows, the wonders continue to expand. It really is no simple task to convince a four-year-old boy a ‘Tea Party’ with his little sister is cool, or a two-year-old girl that there is no such thing as boy colors and girl colors, and a baby in-utero that now IS the time to be born.
I am sure they have taught me as much as I taught them over the years and I am certain we will continue to enrich each-others lives into the future!
So it was pretty easy to think of why I love being a mom… I love the feeling of crushed cheerios between my toes and stepping on the occasional Lego, I love sleeping on the very edge of my own bed with a foot in my ribs and an arm waving and flying into my face throughout the night. It is sheer joy eating cold meals well into the evening or settling for the table scraps that sat in front of a preschool aged child for just under an hour while being ignored and falling beyond luke warm, if it wasn’t for that cracker I discovered on the cushion of the high chair I just might have starved to death. I do not mind knowing every one of the Disney Characters or when I start randomly humming the ‘Silly Songs’ CD songs line at the bank.  I enjoy cold QUICK, showers all-the-while shouting “Who’s Crying? Why is he/she crying? I’m getting out right now”, merely because it saves time and water… which I need for the loads and loads and loads and loads of laundry. Reading “Brown Bear, Brown Bear”, three-to-five times a day and taking at least 30 minutes to get ready to go ANY where and all the EMERGENCY potty breaks in EVERY public restroom EVER built while we are out for a few, quick errands

None of that, NONE of it is bad, not bad at all. It is not bad because I am blessed; ALL moms are blessed with the joys of motherhood. I had been around children all my life and I always knew the joy they would bring to their parents and others, but I never felt the pure awe-embracing bliss my own children would bring into my life as soon as they were discovered.  

I am blessed that my children have made even the most mundane tasks a breeze and a joy, I am blessed that a solo-trip to the supermarket has become a vacation… a LONELY vacation.
Blessed that Friday nights mean pizza and a movie, at home, Saturday mornings cartoons and being up before the sun, weekends feel the same as weekdays, every season with its new discoveries allows for different yet glorious adventures.
Blessed that I am paid in sticky kisses, extra tight hugs, chocolate stained handshakes, booger sleeves, being called “Mama” and watching a smile extend check-to-check on my little ones face the first time they see Santa Clause, or lose a tooth, or eat an ice cream cone or play in rain puddles or say “Goodnight” or watch the snow fall or ride a bicycle or write their name for the first time or learn to shuffle-step, throw a baseball, or feel an ocean breeze, or… just smile.

No comments: