Sunday, June 20, 2010

Household Manual -routines

What time do you get up?
I wake up at 6am in order to get some things in order before the kids are up.

What time does everyone else get out of bed?

Matt is always up between 7-8am, sine he is home after midnight he needs to get his rest in. Matt or I wake the kids around 8:30am (if they do not wake first on there own and get them going. Matt and I always start the day with a positiveness regardless of the day before...

Are you 'morning people?'

I am definitely a morning person. Matt used to be also, but now with the second shift job, he is a night owl and has a harder time in the mornings.

What is the morning routine in your house?
I start each day with chores before the kids wake and try to start breakfast before they wake as well. I have some quiet time before I wake up the kids. I immediately wash my face, brush my teeth and get things going.

At 8:30am I wake the kids (if they haven't woken naturally and start their day off with encouraging "Good Morning" words. I will say things like… "I love you! You're awesome! You're going to have a great day!" I make sure that the kids have on matching clothes that do not have holes or stains on them. I feed them breakfast.

Mark is up between 7-8am and starts the coffee and has some quiet time and does morning works-out. He then joins us for a family breakfast.

Who prepares breakfast? Does the family eat it together?

I cook a healthy breakfast for the kids every morning. The kids and I eat together and Matt joins in when his work-out is complete.

What time do the kids leave for school?

Our children are home-schooled currently and lessons begin at 9am.

Do you ever get to sleep in?

No.

What is your schedule for the day?

I am very motivated and like to stick to a schedule. It is not only important for us with our busy lives, but it is also important to train the kids by example the importance of setting and sticking to a schedule.

I have three different Companies that I run out of my home: Avon, Pampered Chef and my own company which I call Happy Crafty Mama...I never just wanted to be a stay at home Mom. Since I am a certified teacher, it makes sense for me to teach my children at home right now. I want to use my gifts and talents to their fullest and believe that if you don't use it – you lose it!!!

In my typical day I will respond to e-mails via i-phone, so that I can interact with the children simultaneously. The majority of the day I spend engaging the children so that the television can remain off. While they nap/rest, I clean and straighten every chance I get, and sometimes I am lucky enough to close my eyes for a moment as well.

Do the kids have any extra classes or activities after school? Who takes them and picks them up?
We are currently searching for a program that will take Jonathan while still challenging him appropriately, in the meantime he has 2-3 scheduled group activities a week. Katrina and I both accompany him.


If you work outside the home, what time do you get home from work?

I work from home so work can happen at any point, while the children are occupied or under Matt's supervision. If I have an evening show, I try to schedule them on evenings when Matt is not working, otherwise Jonathan spends some time with his aunt or grandparents and Katrina accompanies me.
Matt works outside the home, and leaves during the afternoon "quiet time" 1-2 pm, he does not return until after midnight.


What time is dinner? Who cooks it?

At 5:15pm I start dinner. I will make a healthy dinner for the family unless we are treating the Family to a nice meal out. On Thursdays, the children and I join my grandparents, parents and uncles for an extended family meal.


What is your dinner routine?

At 5:30pm the kids are required to wash their hands and use the bathroom. Once completed they are asked to get a cup for themselves and sit at the table.
Then we have Family dinner time. Every one sits at the dinner table in kitchen to eat together, whether they are hungry or not. This time is very important to us as a family. We spend the time connecting and discussing the day, and each person gets a chance to share their highs points of the day.

When dinner has been completed the children can choose a healthy treat to eat, an apple, smoothie, frozen yogurt, apple sauce, jello or the like.


Who cleans up after dinner?

Matt pitches in a lot (when he is not working) as I do most of the cooking. Otherwise, I do it myself, but not until the children have gone to bed.

What happens after dinner?
We play a quiet game, or have some last chance out-door play. Then every other night the kids get a bath.


Are your kids allowed out during the week? If so do they have a curfew?

The kids are not allowed out during the week on their own. But occasionally go play with family members until bath-time.


Do your kids have set bedtimes?

The kids are in bed by 7:35pm or latest 8:00pm. I want the kids to go to sleep thinking happy thoughts so I'll say encouraging, uplifting words to the kids like "you're a great friend to people. I love you! You are awesome!" And I remind them how important it is to get rest.


What is the bedtime routine with the kids?

The routine begins at 7pm with a bath. Once that is completed, we all cuddle in our bed and listen to a story or two. Then we put on pj's, go downstairs to use the bathroom again and brush teeth. On nights that Matt is working, we also call him at work to say goodnight. Once we hang up we pray, talk a little and kiss them good night.

What else do you do in the evening before you go to bed?

I catch up on chores or work while it is quiet, shower and read.


What time do you go to bed?

At 9pm I get ready for bed, I will read, and then I try and be asleep by 10pm.

No comments: